The Academy follows a policy of zero tolerance towards ragging. Ragging is prohibited at the D.J.Academy and those found guilty of indulging in it, if the situation so warrants, may be referred to the Police for the initiation of criminal proceedings as per the rule of the land. Any student indulging in this will be liable to be expelled not only from the hostel but also from the Academy
What Constitutes Ragging: –
Ragging constitutes one or more of any of the following acts:
- any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student.
- indulging in rowdy or in disciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student
- asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student
- any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher
- exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students;
- any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person;
- any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, posts, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student;
- any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
- Any act of physical or mental abuse (including bullying and exclusion) targeted at another student (fresher or otherwise) on the ground of colour, race, religion, caste, ethnicity, gender (including transgender), sexual orientation, appearance, nationality, regional origins, linguistic, identity, place of birth, place of residence or economic background.
Punishment for ragging:-
Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging shall be any one or any combination of the following:-
- Cancellation of admission
- Suspension from attending classes
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process
- Withholding results
- Debarring from representing the Academy in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension/expulsion from the hostel
- Rustication from the Academy for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters
- Expulsion from the Academy and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution.
- Collective punishment: when the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the Academy shall resort to collective punishment as a deterrent to ensure community pressure on the potential raggers.
Students are required to submit an affidavit at the time of admission to the Academy to the effect that he/she is aware of the law regarding prohibition of ragging as well as the punishments, and that he/she, if found guilty of the offence of ragging and/or abetting ragging, is liable to be punished appropriately. Parents/ guardians are also required to submit an affidavit to the effect that he/she is also aware of the law in this regard and agrees to abide by the punishment meted out to his/her ward in case the latter is found guilty of ragging and/or abetting ragging.
1. Anti-Ragging Committee
This committee ensures compliance with the provisions of Regulations of Anti-Ragging. A committee of the following members has been constituted as “Anti-Ragging Committee”:-
||Dr A G V Narayanan
||Dr J J Savithri
||Dr P Sangeetha
||Dr R Prabhsankar
2. Anti-Ragging Squad
The squad makes surprise visits at hostels and spots vulnerable to incidences of ragging on the campus.
||Dr J J Savithri
||Dr. P Sangeetha
||Prof. Sreeraman Nandhi